Wednesday 2 May 2018

Small Treasures

On Sunday, I had the nostalgic experience of helping empty out my grandmothers house. It had been in my family for 44 years, and I have many fond memories of it from my earliest childhood. In helping clean it out I found myself nostalgic and wistful for those younger years.

It was a place where my parents had grown into adulthood, and I too went from an infant to an adult in those halls. I have happy memories of it, running around the large household, playing in the big basement, and going through (what seemed to my younger mind) the palatial halls and rooms.

The brown carpet in particular was a fixture of my childhood

It was where I learned my love of history, my love of reading, and my early faith with the tutelage of my uncle and grandmother. In fact I think many of my best lessons in life were learned under that roof. My grandmother was one of the people who made me who I am today.

"In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, 'God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.'" (1 Peter 5:5)

“I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.” (Job 23:12)

I learned manners in this dining room.


I was pleased though, to discover small things which brought back cherished memories. An old stroller for dolls my brother and I would push around with my cousins. Pictures my grandmother kept of us in her room. Books she read, figurines she cherished, and old Bibles that were family heirlooms. As well as old family photos, some dating back to before the 1900s, and a cornucopia of family memorabilia. A treasure trove sure to provide hours of discussion and reflection.

One particularly nice thing to fondly recall was the "secret room" my uncle always showed my brother and I. It was a section of almost attic connected to his room by a small door, which when opened, revealed a space where my uncle had a great bookshelf filled with Hardy Boys books. That it seemed so special and so secret to us made it all the more memorable, and the books more mysterious and intriguing. This coupled with his other shelves filled with fiction and historic literature really inspired my own love of reading.

The Door

The "Secret Shelves"

All in all it was a house well lived in. It brought myself, my parents, and my grandparents, uncles and cousins many happy days. I can only wish the new inhabitants just as much happiness there as my family found in it. The good times were often, the food was good, and the laughs were many. It was a beautiful home.

I'll never forget it.

The old front hall

The grand old staircase

44 years of memories

It was a house well used, and the time there was well spent. May it bring good things to all who inhabit it.

2 comments: